FAIR Health in the News
FAIR Health is frequently cited by news organizations and other media outlets to shed light on public health areas of concern. The articles often draw on FAIR Health’s independent research studies, such as those on COVID-19, venues of care and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), or focus on our tools, like our Monthly Telehealth Regional Tracker and shared decision-making (SDM) tools. Links to articles citing FAIR Health are maintained on our website here. Below are some highlights of how our data have been cited this year.
COVID-19 First Brief
Our first COVID-19 brief, entitled COVID-19: The Projected Economic Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the US Healthcare System, projected US costs for COVID-19 patients requiring inpatient stays and delved into the potential of telehealth for helping to cope with the pandemic. The brief, released on March 25, was cited in over 500 publications in 28 countries.
- Vox, May 5, 2020: Why the Covid-19 Economy Is Particularly Devastating to Millennials, in 14 Charts
- The Independent, April 6, 2020: 35 Million Americans Could Be Left without Health Insurance as Former Fed Chair Warns ‘Depression Levels’ of Unemployment
- NBC News, April 5, 2020: Obamacare's Health Care Protections Face First True Test in Coronavirus Crisis
- Thomson Reuters, April 3, 2020: U.S. Working on Blueprint for COVID-19 Treatment Costs for Uninsured
- CNBC, April 1, 2020: Uninsured Americans Could Be Facing Nearly $75,000 in Medical Bills if Hospitalized for Coronavirus
Monthly Telehealth Regional Tracker
On May 7, FAIR Health launched the Monthly Telehealth Regional Tracker, a new, interactive feature on fairhealth.org. The tracker offers insights into the month-by-month evolution of telehealth in every region of the country, especially now as the COVID-19 pandemic progresses.
- Crain's Health Pulse, May 7, 2020: Fair Health Launches Telehealth Tracker
FH® Healthcare Indicators and FH® Medical Price Index
Released annually, FH Healthcare Indicators and FH Medical Price Index are published jointly as a white paper available on fairhealth.org. As in previous years, this year’s release reveals trends and patterns in the places where patients receive healthcare, reports shifts in costs and supports useful comparisons among medical prices in six procedure categories.
- Barron’s, April 17, 2020: A Small-Cap Stock That’s Ready to Pounce
- Medscape (WebMD network), April 2, 2019: Telehealth, Urgent Care, Retail Clinics Getting More Popular
In March, FAIR Health launched SDM tools for palliative care—a groundbreaking website feature that combines clinical and cost information to support seriously and chronically ill patients and their caregivers in the process of shared decision making with clinicians for three palliative care scenarios.
- U.S. News & World Report, March 23, 2020: Help with Difficult Medical Decisions
- CNBC, March 13, 2020: 71% of Americans Don’t Know What Palliative Care Is Even Though It Can Save Patients Thousands—A New Tool Aims to Change That
- Crain's Health Pulse, March 11, 2020: Fair Health Expands Cost-Transparency Offerings to Palliative Care
FAIR Health’s infographic on STDs was released in February. Its findings on recent growth of common STDs received widespread media attention.
- Medscape, February 19, 2020: Poll: Americans Unaware STIs Are Common and Increasing
- U.S. News & World Report, February 11, 2020: STDs on the Rise: The Evidence of Insurance Claims
- MedPage Today, February 11, 2020: STI Diagnoses Rise, Especially in Rural Areas
- STAT, February 11, 2020: Long-Term Data Confirm Rise in STDs