Consumer Classroom Teaches the Health Insurance Fundamentals
Do you know the difference between an HMO and a PPO? Or between a copay and coinsurance? Now you can learn the basics of health insurance on the go. Download FAIR Health’s new, free mobile app, FH® Consumer Classroom.
FH Consumer Classroom provides easy access to the educational materials also available on our free, award-winning website, fairhealthconsumer.org. FH Consumer Classroom presents these materials in a simple, user-friendly format. The content includes:
- FH® Insurance Basics: A series of articles on the fundamentals of health insurance and healthcare costs. They’ll help you choose a medical or dental plan, understand it and make the most of it.
- Resources: Links to groups that can help you with your health and health insurance. Topics include costs, finding a provider, appeals, caring for a chronic condition and more.
- Glossary: A glossary of medical, dental and health insurance terms. It runs the gamut from acupuncture and allowed amount to self-insured and wisdom teeth.
- Healthcare Quality: The FH® Healthcare Quality Toolkit gives you tools to compare the quality of healthcare providers. Those include doctors, other types of healthcare professionals and facilities.
- Videos: Our videos include a helpful series on consumers facing healthcare challenges. Also included are instructional videos on topics related to FH Insurance Basics.
- Newsletters: The newsletter you’re reading now, FAIR Health Consumer Access, comes out four times a year. Browse through the issues for practical tips on how to use your health insurance and manage your healthcare costs.
- Shared Decision Making: An introduction to shared decision making. This is a process in which you and your doctor make treatment choices together. Included is a link to our palliative care decision aids.
- Medical and Dental Cost Estimates: Want an estimate of the cost of specific medical and dental services in your area? Follow the link in the app to reach our cost lookup tools.
- Games: Interactive puzzles about health insurance and healthcare terms. Designed to support learning, these can be found only on the app.